Spray Tan Before and After Care
It is very important to take care of your skin before and after your spray tan, for maximum results. Here are some great tips to help get the best tan possible. This will tell you how to prepare for your tan as well as maintaining it!
Preparing for a Sunless Application
- Shave at least 24 hours before your sunless tanning session. We always suggest shaving with water only — shaving creams contain lanolin (an oil) that acts as a barrier between the tanning solution and the skin.
- Any waxing should be done 1-2 days prior to your sunless tanning.
- Exfoliate skin at least 6 hours before your sunless session to smooth skin for even tanning results. Spend a little extra time on knees, elbows, feet, and hands.
- If skin is dry apply a light water based lotion lightly and evenly to skin prior to your sunless tan we suggest PH Ready by Fitness Tan
- Do not apply oils at any time prior to or after your sunless tan.
- Remove make-up prior to your sunless tanning application for best results.
- After your sunless tan wear dark loose fitting clothing.
- Do not wear wool, nylon, or silk during or after your sunless application and for at least 8 hours as DHA may react with these fabrics and cause staining.
After Your Sunless Application
- Ok now it’s time to shower! Don’t worry if you see colour wash off from your first shower, this is normal. What you see washing off is the immediate cosmetic bronzer and what is left behind is a beautiful sunless tan.
- Do not apply moisturizer until after your first shower, for this could affect the immediate reaction of the sunless solution on the skin and cause streaking.
- Do not exercise until after your first shower.
- Moisturize daily, especially after bathing, to maintain your sunless tan. For best results use a professional Tan Extender. Don’t use oil based moisturizers, they can cause blotchy areas.
- Do not exfoliate skin for at least 48 hours after your sunless tanning application. When you do exfoliate, do so gently and evenly to preserve an even sunless tan.
How to Maintain Your Spray Tan
Spray tans can last from 5 – 10 days if cared for correctly. To maintain your tan, make sure that you moisturize and use CORRECT products as outlined above. Using the wrong products can cause your tan to fade quicker than normal.